Caption, from left to right: Juan Povedano (Marketing Manager for Central Lechera Asturiana), Rafael Secades (Cheese Guild), Maria Cardín ( Sales Manager for El Gaitero) and Tano Collado (Cider Master).
- Both companies get together to support artisanal and local production with Protected Designation of Origin (D.O.P.), promoting the joint consumption of their products.
- The project has been presented in the Salón Gourmets 2021 with a tasting that pairs their Cheese and their Cider, iconic products of the Asturian cuisine.
Central Lechera Asturiana and Grupo El Gaitero, two national leading brands, have got together to promote the joint consumption of two signature flavours, iconic of the Asturian cuisine: cheese and cider.
The cheese selection El Maestro Quesero by Central Lechera Asturiana and El Gaitero ciders, are symbols of tradition, artisanal production, and origin. And, as great food icons in Asturias, these cheeses and ciders with Protected Designation of Origin (D.O.P) transform a “traditional” culín of cider and a cheese tapa, into a full experience for the senses.
“Cheese and cider, cider and cheese” is a project that tries to spread the pairing of both products, boosting their flavours and nuances, and becoming the logical union between products and brands with a common rooted origin: Asturias.
Presentation in the Salón Gourmets 2021, in Madrid
Central Lechera Asturiana and El Gaitero have presented today this project in the Salón Gourmets 2021, the biggest quality food and beverage fair in Europe, taking place in IFEMA (Madrid).
During the Salón Gourmets, different pairing tastings have been carried out . As Juan Povedano, Marketing Manager for Central Lechera Asturiana, states “this project acknowledges the work and savoir faire of two companies that have been in the market for a very long time and who are charismatic in and out of Asturias”. María Cardín, Sales and Marketing Manager for El Gaitero adds “we are two companies carrying the name of Asturias around Spain and the world and we want to show our less known side through the union of cheese and cider”.
The following pairings have been savoured in the tasting:
EMQ CABRALES D.O.P. => El Gaitero Black Label Cider (D.O.P SIDRA DE ASTURIAS).
EMQ AFUEGA´L PITU D.O.P. => El Gaitero Natural Cider.
EMQ CASIN D.O.P => Ice Cider 1898.
EMQ BEYOS I.G.P => Pomarina Brut Cider (D.O.P SIDRA DE ASTURIAS).
EMQ VIDIAGO => Pomarina Natural Cider – traditional (D.O.P SIDRA DE ASTURIAS).
Within the framework of this joint work between Central Lechera and Grupo El Gaitero other initiatives have been agreed to promote the great combination between their products:
- Virtual tastings with videos explaining every El Maestro Quesero Cheese and how they should be paired with the different varieties of El Gaitero ciders.
- Online cross sales to promote the purchase of both products, offering a discount to buy El Gaitero cider when buying El Maestro Quesero cheeses, and vice versa.
- “Cheese & cider, cider & cheese” days.
- Guided visits with tastings to La Cueva del Molín and to El Gaitero facilities.